iSightCornwall was established in 1856 to support Cornish miners, many lost their sight due to mining accidents and the hazardous working conditions of the time. 160 years on and the charity continues to support the visually impaired, helping over 4,000 people a year from its headquarters in Truro.
Celebrating 160 years of iSightCornwall
1856 – The Society for the Itinerary Teaching of the Blind in the County of Cornwall is founded to support miners who lost their sight in mining accidents.
1910 – Volunteers began collecting money for the Society.
1920 – The Blind Persons Act was passed. All societies related to people with sight loss had to be registered and co-operate together.
1923 – The Society changes its name to Home Teaching Society of the Blind in Cornwall & County Association with the South Devon and Cornwall Institution for the Blind
1925 – The name was shortened to the Cornwall County Association for the Blind
1948 – Malabar House in Truro was opened as a home for the blind.
1994 – The Association moved into Penryn House renaming it the Sight Centre.
1997 – The Association changed its name to Cornwall Blind Association.
2006 – ‘A Cornish Vision’ was published celebrating 150 years of the Cornwall Blind Association.
2015 – Rebranded as iSightCornwall to reflect the needs of everyone with sight loss whatever their age, circumstance or condition.
2016 – The iSightCornwall Resource Centre is officially opened as we celebrate 160 years.