Community outreach service
The Community Outreach Service is a free advice and support service for people living with sight loss.
Our Community Development Officers will arrange to visit you at home to listen to your needs and aspirations and offer you:
- Holistic advice and information based on your individual circumstances.
- A personalised demonstration of our everyday living equipment which helps to promote and maintain your independence.
- Information about referrals to our Low Vision clinic for specialist advice and the free long-term loan of low vision aids such as magnifiers and solar shades.
- Information and advice about our Assistive Technology service which can transform everyday living, reading and writing.
- A benefits checklist followed by referral to our experienced advisor.
- Information about the clubs for visually impaired people in your area.
- Advice, information and assistance to make contact with other agencies such as Adult Social Care, Lifeline, the Fire Safety Check service and more.
- Information and advice about audio resources.
We recognise that Cornwall is a large rural area and that can be difficult for some people to get to the Sight Centre in Truro. So we are running a series of pop up events in community venues to bring our low vision, assistive technology and benefits services directly to towns and villages across the county. To see if we have any events planned in your area please view our Events Calendar.
Talks and presentations
Our Community Development Officers will visit clubs, community groups and professional services to give advice and information on living with sight loss as well as demonstrating specialist equipment that makes every day living easier. We can also invite our clients along to offer first-hand experience of particular eye conditions such as Diabetic Retinopathy.
To book an appointment with our Community Development Officer please contact us on 01872 261110 or email us at email@example.com
We also offer information on visually impaired clubs and activities in your area, assistance with assistive technology devices and support with your benefits applications.